Thursday, June 25, 2009

Memories...1983

There are many fond memories growing up and camping in the mid-west with my family. Every summer was an adventure. These camping trips always included fishing, day long hikes, exploring, and horse back riding. Some particular memories stand out and it wasn’t until recently I realized some were all the same day. We were in Glacier National Park in Montana and decided to hike the Highline Trail (7 miles in and 7 miles out). That almost sounds like complete torture now but I don’t recall it being a big deal at the time. Back in those days, we carried a “canteen” of water. We had only one among us and Mom accidentally dropped it…. and down the steep cliff it went. Nobody has let her forget this. 

There was a shelter at the end of trail. I recall food and drinks were provided? Or perhaps we looked pathetic enough and someone offered. There was a mouse on the loose, that I’m sure of. I did my best to capture it... under tables and between people’s legs… There was also a Grizzly bear! Again, I don’t recall it being a big deal at the time. Ha! On the way back we encountered a Big Horned Sheep. It blocked the trail and we were unable to move around it. We literally ended up waiting two hours for him to leave before we could continue along. I blame my parents for instilling the love of nature in me at an early age........

  • In the wilderness is the preservation of the world. Henry David Thoreau

  • We do not inherit the land from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children. Native American Proverb


2 comments:

Craig said...

Hi Crzydazy-
Enjoy reading your adventures- just need to point out one of the most misquoted Thoreau lines-
Thoreau actually said in wildness is the preservation of the world- not wilderness- I see this misquoted everywhere- wilderness- wildness its all good-but I suppose wildness can exist outside of wilderness- can it? Anyhow- I love Thoreau-you have to get to Walden someday if you haven't already- Ciao and happy hiking1

Crzydazy said...

Hi Craig - Thank you! I will be volunteering at WTA's Trailsfest and am hoping to make your presentation. You are an inspiration!