For a five year period in my life, I had a recurring dream about bears. It was not exactly the same each time, but it was one of those dreams where you freeze, panic and can’t move or react. In these dreams, I came across a bear or a cougar, would freeze and wake up petrified.
As a child I remember getting bear bells at the bottom of the trail head for my shoes. Also, pamphlets of songs to sing. I was not afraid of bears then. Not in the least. Bear bells give me some comfort now but you won’t catch me singing.
I’m not sure where this fear stemmed from. Maybe it’s because my mom saw a black bear a mile from their house, or had a cougar in their front yard. Or maybe it’s from watching too much Animal Planet.
If I had my choice of who to run into, it would be a cougar. You react the same way each and every single time. Aggressive. Stand tall. Yell. scream. Throw things….but a bear…..you almost need to become a Bear Whisperer. You must read the bear and figure out what they're thinking. Did you surprise it? Does it have cubs. It is just curious? Is it a grizzly or black bear? Play dead…but when?
Either way, I don’t let it stop me from enjoying what I love. My dreams have stopped. I have so much respect for nature and the natural way of things, I hope it does for me in return.
Jill and I made up a survival poem/song:
Stare at a cougar, not at a bear…….
Throw rocks at a cougar, not at a bear………
Never corner a cobra…(for our hikes in eastern, Wa)
As a child I remember getting bear bells at the bottom of the trail head for my shoes. Also, pamphlets of songs to sing. I was not afraid of bears then. Not in the least. Bear bells give me some comfort now but you won’t catch me singing.
I’m not sure where this fear stemmed from. Maybe it’s because my mom saw a black bear a mile from their house, or had a cougar in their front yard. Or maybe it’s from watching too much Animal Planet.
If I had my choice of who to run into, it would be a cougar. You react the same way each and every single time. Aggressive. Stand tall. Yell. scream. Throw things….but a bear…..you almost need to become a Bear Whisperer. You must read the bear and figure out what they're thinking. Did you surprise it? Does it have cubs. It is just curious? Is it a grizzly or black bear? Play dead…but when?
Either way, I don’t let it stop me from enjoying what I love. My dreams have stopped. I have so much respect for nature and the natural way of things, I hope it does for me in return.
Jill and I made up a survival poem/song:
Stare at a cougar, not at a bear…….
Throw rocks at a cougar, not at a bear………
Never corner a cobra…(for our hikes in eastern, Wa)
***********
Please note:
The Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers,hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for Bears while in the field. They advise that campers wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. They also advise campers to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Campers should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung. Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Whereas, Grizzly dung is larger and has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.
The Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers,hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for Bears while in the field. They advise that campers wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. They also advise campers to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Campers should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung. Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Whereas, Grizzly dung is larger and has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.
No comments:
Post a Comment