For me, hiking is all about happy feet. The right hiking boots and socks. When the feet are happy, the rest of the body follows.
This stupid injury has affected more than just my ability to escape into the wilderness. As of today, I’m not able to walk around the house bare foot for long periods of time. Forget about wearing flip flops. Tennis shoes are the only thing I can wear. I used to own 2 pairs, now I have 4. Try wearing a nice outfit with tennis shoes. It just doesn’t work. I’ve never wanted to wear a pair of heels so bad in my life. This summer I was finally able to wear sandals. With straps, but whatever. I had to sell my truck (manual transmission– left foot) and was forced to learn to drive an automatic car. Completely unnatural. I've gained 10 pounds and I could go on...
When I’m able to escape for a few hours without pain, I am filled with euphoria. Even if it’s in the dark. People tend to take their health for granted until they lose it. Not me. Not anymore. I will take 2.6 miles and be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment