Monday, June 8, 2009

I have not been hiking......

But I’ve been walking a lot and.... it’s not the same! Banda still enjoys our daily walks but hopefully I can get a hike in this week! Mountains, Tree’s, Waterfalls, squirrels, elevation….

I recently took a vacation to Minnesota and Wisconsin to visit family. Once my uncle Alan told me about the trails around their cabin, my shoes were on in a heartbeat. My aunt Patti and Mom joined me. The trail was kind of flat. Ok…. it WAS flat. But, when I saw my first little “hill” I was filled with excitement. Aunt Patti said “ok, this is the hard part” and I thought……I’ve been dying to see a hill! (She claimed old age). We came across a little shelter along the way and took a break. I decided to keep going when they turned around. About ten minutes later, I found a TICK on my leg attaching itself. I freaked and tried to flick it off. It took a few tries but I finally did it. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it back on my leg again. I didn’t know ticks JUMP! Do they jump or fly? I don’t know. Gross. After this wonderful experience I decided I was done. I forgot we were on Big Bear Lake and had those furry guys to worry about too. I jogged quickly to catch up with mom and Patti.

On Saturday, June 6th I attended my first American Cancer Society Relay. My friend Lisa and her mom Linda have been doing this for a couple years. They lost their beloved Rob to cancer three years ago and are still affected very deeply. I’ve always donated and supported them but this year Linda asked me to join her for a few laps. That turned into… why don’t you stay for the Luminaria Ceremony? Ok! Sounds fun. That takes place late at night, so I might as well stay all day right? I ended up joining her team and raised over $300 fairly quickly. I also lost my Grandma to lung cancer and my Grandpa to leukemia. I miss them greatly. Cancer affects us all and this was a chance to celebrate their life along with millions of other people who have been touched by this horrific disease. It was such a great experience and I’m grateful to have been a part of it.


No comments: